Frequently Asked Questions
About Rechargeable Batteries: General Questions
Can NiMH batteries be substituted for alkaline batteries?
Usually. However some devices are specifically marked. Check inside the battery compartment of your device or your user manual to make sure they are compatible. Note the discharge curve of alkaline batteries continuously reduces voltage capacity. In fact, over the course of their discharge, alkaline batteries actually average about 1.2 volts. The main difference is that an alkaline battery starts at 1.5 volts and gradually drops to less than 1.0 volts. NiMH batteries stay at about 1.2 volts for almost 80% of their discharge cycle. Once alkaline batteries discharge to 50% capacity, it will be delivering a lower voltage than a NiMH battery.
How many times can a rechargeable battery be recharged?
The number of times a battery can be recharged depends on many factors. These include the discharging drain load, the frequency of use, the length of time in a discharged state, charge temperature and conditioning. Rechargeable batteries do NOT last forever and need to be replaced at some time. However, you should expect many years and hundreds of charge cycles of good performance.
The milliAmp hours (mAh) of my current battery are rated differently than mAh of the Accessory Power battery; will it still work in my device?
Yes, it will work. The mAh is a measurement to compare run times. For example, a battery with a 2500 mAh rating would last 2x longer than a battery with a 1250 mAh rating.
How to Store the Battery Pack
If the battery pack is not to be used for a long time, do the following procedures once every six months to maintain proper function:
- Begin by fully charging the battery.
- Discharge on your electronic equipment.
- Remove the battery from the equipment and store it in a dry, cool place.
- The battery life is limited. Battery capacity drops little by little as you sue it more and more, and as time passed. When the available battery time is shortened considerably, a probable cause is that the battery pack has reached the end of its life. Please buy a new battery pack.
- The battery life varies according to how it is stored and operating conditions and environment for each battery pack.
Charging and Operating Times
- You will get more usage time if you turn the product off when it is not in operation.
- Charging and operating times vary-the safest policy is always to have two or three times as many battery packs as you think you will need.
- If the battery pack starts to give you much less operating time than usual ( at normal temperatures) it has reached the end of its life and must be replaced.
I just got the batteries. What do I need to do first before using them?
For new NiMH batteries, it is necessary to cycle them three to five times before they reach peak performance. Battery cycling can be achieved simply by using the batteries and recharging them or using a battery conditioner.
How long can the batteries hold their charge if I leave them on the shelf (shelf-life)?
At room temperature, NiMH batteries, without usage, will self-discharge in around 30 to 60 days, depending on environmental condition. In other words, if you leave the batteries on the shelf for more than 30 - 60 days, you should recharge the batteries before using them. It is normal for batteries to be fully depleted of power after long term storage.
I have not used my NiMH batteries in several months and they are not holding their charge. How can I fix this?
NiMH batteries will self-discharge if left unused. Generally, within 30 to 60 days, batteries will become completely drained. When using them, you will need to first recharge them. After extended storage, you may need to condition the batteries several times to regain nominal performance.
How often should I condition my batteries?
Generally speaking, NiMH batteries do not suffer from the "memory effect" and thus do not require conditioning. Nevertheless, to ensure top performance, conditioning is recommended at once for every ten charges. For Nickel Cadmium (NiCD) batteries, conditioning is recommended every time you charge your batteries.
How many times can I recharge my batteries?
The number of times you can recharge your batteries will depend on the operating parameters, such as drain rate, battery care, etc. In general, under desirable condition, NiMH can last up to 500 recharges. In best condition, NiMH can last up to 1000 recharges.
Can I leave my batteries in the charger until I need to use it?
When used with a overnight charger or a rapid charger with automatic termination, NiMH batteries can be left in the charger for an extended period of time without leakage, explosion, or deformation. However, do not store the batteries in the charger if it is not necessary. Always store charged batteries in a cool location.
About Cameras & Camcorders
Does your battery not fit into your Mini Charger? Then perhaps this guide will help you. Our mini chargers require the batteries to be installed in a unique way. This is how you can install your battery into your EXTERNAL AC/DC MINI CHARGER:
- Please make sure that the battery is "FLIPPED OVER" to where the CAUTION sign of the battery is facing you.
- Place the battery in where the contacts meet and push down. It may look like the contacts are opposed because of how the the battery contacts and charger prongs align, but rest assured this is the proper way.
- This should have the battery correctly fitted and snug with the charger.
- Please plug the charger in. A red light should appear but should not blinking. Once the charging has completed, the light will turn green.
- Please contact us if your experience with the External AC/DC Charger differs from what was described above.
Computer / Laptop / Netbook
- It is not unusual for a battery to loose its ability to hold a charge after time.
- A lot depends on the usage and the number of times it is charged, not just how long you own it.
- If you keep the battery in the laptop most of the time when it is on AC power, it is constantly being charged and discharged.
- We recommend using the laptop with 2 batteries:
- One that is at the end of its life cycle to keep in the laptop when you are on AC.
- A second battery that is the one to use when you are on the road and need battery power.
- It is recommended to swap out the "good" battery and charge it once a month. This will keep the 2nd battery it prime condition. Please note that even this battery will loose power after some time. This is normal and not a manufacturer's defect.
- It is hard to provide a precise time how long a battery will last, even when comparing 2 different batteries of the same age. While both can be the same age there are many factors that decrease a battery's ability to hold a charge. They can be used very differently, thus the charge cycles and use can be very different.
About Cell Phones & Smartphones
Pairing Your Bluetooth Device
- Before you use your headset for the first time, you must pair it with your Bluetooth mobile phone or other Bluetooth devices (The "Device") according to the following steps:
- Place the headset and the device within one meter distance area.
- Ensure the headset is off and then press the Multi-function or Bluetooth Pairing Button for approx. 5 seconds.
- Activate your mobile phone/device's Bluetooth function. You may need to refer to the mobile phone's user guide for details. Make the mobile phone/device scan or search for the Bluetooth device you want to pair.
- Your mobile phone will find the headset and the device’s name will appear on the list.
- Select the device’s name and then press "OK" to confirm.
- Some devices will require you to input a password to finish pairing.
- When the headset is paired with the mobile phone/device, you will hear a sound and the blue indicator light will flash several times quickly and then enter the standby state. Note: When in the pairing mode, if you didn't finish the pairing process in one minute, the headset will enter the standby state. If you want to pair again, you need to repeat the steps 1-7.
If you can not connect the headset to the mobile phone, please try the following steps:
- Ensure the headset is charged fully and it is paired with your mobile phone.
- Ensure the headset is not connected with other Bluetooth devices.
- Ensure your mobile's Bluetooth feature is activated.
- Ensure the headset is not too far away from your mobile phone/device and there is no obstruction, such as walls or other electronic devices in between. Most Bluetooth devices have an operational range under 10 meters.